Sunday, August 11, 2013

Gary Everest Portrait - complete

 Gary Everest
Oil on canvas panel
11" x 14"

I have virtually sat on my hands to avoid overworking this portrait.  There is a fine line between just enough and too much and failure and I walk it often.  I wish there was a delete button or a warning siren that would go off and prevent me from adding another brush stroke.

I've adjusted the colours and refined the shapes and added some colour to the shirt, that may need a little more work before signing.  Right now, its going to sit for a week to dry and look at my from across the studio while I contemplate any last alterations before its final and hands off.


Here's a closer view of brush strokes and colours.  As usual, my photography skills and photoediting as well as computer monitor colour limitations detract from the original.  I so wish there were a way to get a true representation of a painting online.  Or maybe its just my inability to do so well.  In reality, the portrait is warmer in value.  I may take the painting outside shortly and see if I can get a truer representation of colour.

I really enjoyed working on this portrait and Gary's working on mine which is quite fascinating to watch unfold.  I love seeing how other artists work, its like peeking over their shoulder in their studio and is always such a privilege to do so.  Do visit Gary's blog and watch his progress, you won't be disappointed.

It is always a challenge to work from a photograph and not have even brief access to the person in real life.  The combination of the two, especially in portraiture, provides a wealth of knowledge visually that a photo can never reveal, both in skin tone and in personality, that are vital to making a painting work well.

12 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Beautifully painted, Jeanette. I really like how you treated the background and you have indeed managed to push this portrait to its perfect stage and avoid overworking it. Congratulations!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Christiane. I wanted the background to be plain and not compete with the face or detract from the colours in it.

Its such a fine line between completion and overworking isn't it? Its a struggle in every painting that I do.

Celia Blanco said...

The final portrait is exceptional! I have enjoyed watching it unfold these past few days. Now I will go over to see Gary's portrait of you!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Celia so glad you''ve enjoyed the process. Gary's doing an amazing job with my portrait.

Billie Crain said...

Bravo, Jeanette! You managed to keep the looseness and the likeness!

Jennifer Rose said...

turned out great :) wonderful lightness to it

Unknown said...

It's lovely!

The perfect place to stop :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Billie, its a fine line between the two at times.

Jen, thank you. I wanted that tropical light to really be present in this portrait. I'm happy with it.

I hope so Sue. No more fiddling with it...well perhaps just a touch at the mouth...:)

Celeste Bergin said...

I just love how you got that stern look...and yet you painted him with almost a lightheartedness. Hard to explain...but I really love the playfulness of the many colors and strokes. Brilliant.

Susan said...

Love this portrait, Jeanette - the skin tones are a joy to behold and I love how it's painted.

Jeanette Jobson said...

thanks Celeste, I wanted it to be light and colourful and its that alright! :)

Susan, thank you. I've moved into a more impressionistic style lately and enjoying the results and freedom it gives me.

suzanneberry said...

this is just amazing!! i love seeing it develop! incredible brush work and color placement!!! beautifully done my friend!